2013 US National Parks Tour Overview

2013 US National Parks Tour Overview

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Early Reflections

[Influenced by recent reading: The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and The War of Art by Steven Pressfield - check these out, very good to read together.]

Waking up in the shadow of Mt. Shasta gives one a sense of the profound.  I was told before we began our trip that Mt. Shasta is the site of many alien visitations; the place where the spirits or actual people of the lost city of Olympus are returning; and in general a place where the physical and spirit worlds connect.  I don't know about all that, but it's a beautiful mountain and seeing something so large and so...seemingly eternal, al least compared to human lifespan...is awe inspiring.  

In the two days of our journey, I've grabbed my notebook countless times already to jot down notes on some thought or idea.  Driving time is always good time for deep thinking, but I think being relatively "unplugged," also contributes to this.  I'm not unplugged from technology or from my friends and family, but I have no responsibilities for the next 2 months aside from working with A to take care of ourselves.  I feel like I'm remembering the real purpose of life and it's not work, or at least not work in the way that our culture frames it.  I believe that my work is an important and vital part of my spiritual purpose and when I'm doing it right, it feeds me.  I hope to keep doing acupuncture and healing work well into my elder years.  But I think that much of the business of my work, my side job and even taking care of our large home become distractions from our real purpose and the creation of happiness.  

It might sound borgious to say that your work should be a part of your spiritual purpose, but I think that it's not just a prerogative of the rich, but an essential step to creating lasting happiness and vitality in your life and your self.  Or at least, if your work cannot be a part of your spiritual purpose, it doesn't distract you unduly from it.  I find myself thinking like a child, asking "why?" to each the answer to each question:

Why do we work?
To make money.
Why do we make money?
To buy the things we need/want.
Why do we buy things?
Why do we need things? Do we really need them?  Which things do we really need?
Why do we want things? 

It's an endless loop, but I think this trip is taking my around on that loop and I'm looking forward to returning with a new perspective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment