2013 US National Parks Tour Overview

2013 US National Parks Tour Overview

Monday, June 10, 2013

Like Pioneers

A just turned to me and said, "I feel a little like the pioneers." He pointed out that we travel all day, don't bathe, don't really know where we're going to sleep or where our next meal is coming from and that food spoilage is a significant issue.  All this is true, as is the fact that I'm typing this on a keyboard connected by bluetooth to my iPhone while listening to Genesis play from our USB disc which is plugged into our WiDisc which is connected to A's iPhone via wireless which is in turn connected to our Kenwood car stereo via bluetooth.  Pioneers would probably have a very different definition for bluetooth.  

I do feel very pioneering, though, as this journey is expanding our consciousness and may result in significant lifestyle choices and changes.  It's fun and a great adventure to tell our children or grandchildren about one day, but it's also a very spiritual experience.  At Mesa Verde, we visited the homes and even a kiva of the ancestral pueblo people and in Hooper, we visited the UFO watchtower where several psychics have identified 2 vorteces.   Now, these two things may seem unconnected, but both are reflective of humanity's desire not to be alone in the universe.  

This I know: we are not alone.  We are in it together.  Gods, aliens, ghosts or spirits aside, whatever one believes, we're all in this together as human beings and there are many other living creatures affected by our presence. We aren't alone.  You can realize it surrounded by people in a place of worship or a concert or you can realize it on the trail when you encounter the one other person in that particular place and time, but we are not alone. 

As we learn about and contemplate the early pioneers that adventured, surveyed, suffered, triumphed and even died in the places that we're visiting in such comfort as Moby and our human ingenuity can provide, I feel connected to humanity through the ages, to the indomitable human spirit.  And while I didn't make it to Angel's Landing, I did get up to Bright Angel Point, I did get right up to the edge of the Black Canyon for some spectacular views  and I climbed the UFO Watchtower.   I think if Zion had come at the end of the trip rather than the beginning or if and when we return, I might just be climbing up that chain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment