2013 US National Parks Tour Overview

2013 US National Parks Tour Overview

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

On Being A Nervous Nelly

Today, we took Moby into Capitol Reef National Park and my tendencies to be a nervous nelly popped up in force, although perhaps with good cause. So, as I mention, being a nervous nelly is a tendency for me - it's nothing new.  I'm nervous about a great many things.  I'm certain that I come by this naturally as my mom is a great worrier, and it's sometimes hard to overcome because many things are, in fact, dangerous.  Should I be afraid of strange men with hook hands?  Probably.  Should I let my fear of them keep me at home?  Definitely not.  Should I fear zombies?  Yes, it would be healthy to fear zombies and the apocalypse is here, people, thanks to bath salts.  Should I let my fear of zombies cause me to run stop signs and get tickets?  Definitely not.

So, as you can imagine, much about this trip could cause me a little anxiety.  The biggest fear I've had in planning our trip is Angel's Landing, a hike in Zion that ascends to heavenly heights.  Only 6 people among thousands, perhaps millions, have died in the past several years, but still, my fear of heights and ensuing vertigo isn't logical.  

Yesterday, during the very brief time that A and I were apart on the trail in Great Basin NP, we both heard the sounds of rocks falling - they sounded like gunshots to A and more like rocks to me, but this occurred in conjunction with a great sound of wind,  like a rushing sound, as I only imagine an avalanche could sound like if they make a sound.  Now, there was no avalanche, no rock slide and no real danger.  The day was iddilic, but I use this to illustrate how the mind's fears can overcome all logic.  

Today in Capitol Reef, my logic was definitely along the better safe than sorry mode of thinking.  We took Moby down the Great Wash and Capitol Gorge roads to get deep into the canyons of the park.  It was really fun and we got to get much closer to the rocks and even see where early pioneers had carved their names into the stone.  It was hard to get good pictures because of the cloud cover...and then it started raining.  You caught that I used the word "wash" above, right?  A wash is an area where waters flow down as in a flash flood.  And we were standing in one in the rain!  

These were probably some of the best negotiations of our marriage.   Let's just get around that corner.  Five more minutes and then we'll go back.  It's not going to really rain.  If I feel one strong drop, we're out of here.  We'll turn around if it really starts raining.  There are other people here, so it must be safe.  

It did start really raining and we did turn around.  By the time we pulled out of the wash and onto the main road, the rain was coming down in force, but it's been stop and go ever since.  In this case, I would rather be cowardly than risk being caught in a flash flood in exactly the wrong place, but maybe I'll be able to let logic guide me at Angel's landing in a few days.  Guess we'll see.

--B

No comments:

Post a Comment